2008 (30 October) Closure of Airport Tempelhof    
1996 Decision for major airport Berlin-Schönefeld    
1995 The Airport Tempelhof is classified as a historic monument.    
1993 Handover of the airport by US Air Force to Berliner Flughafengesellschaft    
1990 Increase in air traffic following German Unity    
1985 Reopening of Airport Tempelhof for business operations and companies with small aircrafts    
1975 Commissioning of Tegel airport; Suspension of air traffic in Tempelhof    
1971-74 Further expansion    
1971 Peak traffic of Airport Tempelhof with approximately 5.5 million passengers in the civil part    
1962 Commissioning of original check-in hall    
1959-62 Reconstruction and expansion of Airport Tempelhof    
1953-57 Children of GDR refugee families and deprived families are flown out to Federal Republic for holiday visits.    
1951 (9 July) Resumption of civil air traffic    
1951 Inauguration of airlift memorial by Eduard Ludwig    
1949 (30 September) Last “airlift flight” of the US Air Force after the Soviet Union lifted the blockades on West Berlin on 12 May    
1948 (26 June) Beginning of “airlift” as a response to imposition of blockades in West Berlin by the Soviet Union    
1948 (23 July - 1 August) 5536 Jewish Displaced Persons flown to Frankfurt am Main in American military aircrafts from Airport Tempelhof.    
1949/50 Beginning of departure of GDR refugees from Airport Tempelhof    
1945-93 Airport of US Air Force    
1945 (May - July) Airport Tempelhof under Russian command    
1945 (25 April) End of aircraft delivery and forced labourers shortly before the take-over by Allied Forces    
1944 Air attacks, set-up of “Stuka” production in Tempelhof    
1941 Beginning of production of dive bombers Ju 87; Set-up of a forced labour camp    
1940 “Weser” Flugzeugbau GmbH starts production in Tempelhof. Beginning of forced labour in airport.    
1939 The construction work of the new airport gradually came to a halt due to the Second World War.    
1938 Demolition of Columbia House    
1936 Start of construction of Airport Tempelhof 1937 (4 December) Topping-out ceremony of Airport Tempelhof and acquisition of first section of building  
1935 The architect Ernst Sagebiel received the order for the draft of a new airport.    
1934-36 Concentration camps Columbia    
1933-34 Gestapo prison of Columbia House (former military prison)    
1933 (1 May) First Berlin mass arranged on 1st May after the takeover of Tempelhof field; even the rallies of the next years and other NS major events took place here.    
1929 Renaming of Prinz-August-von-Württemberg-Straße to Columbiastraße    
1927 Landing of ocean fliers Clarence D. Chamberlin and Charles A. Levine with their aircraft “Columbia” at first in Cottbus and then at Airport Tempelhof    
1926 (6 January) Establishment of “Deutschen Luft Hansa AG”    
1926-29 Construction of the main building of Airport Tempelhof; architects: Paul and Klaus Engler    
1925-28 Construction of Neukölln sports park along the Oderstraße    
1924-25 First phase of construction of the Airport Tempelhof hangars; architects: Heinrich Kosina and Paul Mahlberg Radio and telegraph station; architect: Fritz Bräuning    
1924 (19 May) Establishment of “Berliner Flughafengesellschaft m.b.H.”    
1923 (8 October) Opening of Airport Tempelhof, initially known as “Tempelhof field airport”    
1921-24 Formation of Tempelhof field park at the north edge of the ground    
1920 Second construction phase of Tempelhof field: Garden suburb “Tempelhof field Settlement”; Architects: Fritz Bräuning, Eduard Jobst Siedler    
1920 (27 April) Formation of municipality of Greater Berlin; incorporation of Tempelhof After    
1909 (23 - 27 September) Advertising flights of Hubert Latham over Tempelhof field 1910 (31 August) Sale of an important part of the Tempelhof field by Prussian Armed Forces Treasury to the community of Tempelhof 1912-14 First construction phase of the Tempelhof field; architect: Bruno Möhring
1909 (4 - 17 September) Orville Wright’s air shows on Tempelhof field    
1909 (29 August) Ferdinand Graf von Zeppelin paraded through Tempelhof field with LZ 6    
1896 Construction of military arrest institution, later Columbia House 1897 (12 June) Fall of the motor balloon of Hermann Wölfert over Tempelhof field (3 November) First ascent of aluminium balloon of David Schwarz from Tempelhof field; stranded in Schöneberg  
1895-97 Construction of barracks for the “Garde Kurassier Regiment” in the then Prinz-August-von-Württemberg-Straße    
1894-97 Construction of barracks for the “Queen Augusta Garde-Grenadier Regiment No. 4” in Friesenstraße    
1893 First scientific ascent of balloon “Humboldt” from the Tempelhof field in Schöneberg    
1888 The B.F.C. Germania 1888, the oldest surviving football club of Germany is formed; the Tempelhof field is used as training ground; in the course of time, up to 37 football clubs trained there.    
1884 “Balloon-Detachment” of Prussian army is formed and positioned in Schöneberg on the Tempelhof field.    
1882 “Three Emperors Parade“ of Wilhelm I, Alexander II of Russia and Franz Joseph of Austria    
1874 onwards, Building of barracks and other military facilities at the edge of the Tempelhof field    
1871 (June) Victory parade after winning the Franco-Prussian War on the Tempelhof field    
1870-72 Barrack hospital for wounded soldiers of the Franco-Prussian War of 1870/71 on the Tempelhof field    
1866 Construction of Turkish graveyard after relocation of the previous Turkish burial ground constructed in 1798    
1861 Construction of garrison graveyard next to the burial ground for fall heroes of liberation wars of 1813/15    
1830 Horse-racing track opened on the Tempelhof field.    
1829 Opening of amusement park “Tivoli” at the edge of the ground    
1827-1918 Tempelhof field as parade ground of Berlin garrison    
1826/27 Sale of Tempelhof field to the Armed Forces Treasury.    
1728 (31 May) King Friedrich Wilhelm I and Augustus the Strong saw one of the largest parades of the 18th century on the Tempelhof field.    
1722 The first parade of Berlin garrison is held by King Friedrich Wilhelm I, the so-called Soldier King; from then on it took place annually and was added with military exercises.    
1442 Seizure of Tempelhof complex by Elector Frederick II. Eisenzahn; Return to Berlin and Cölln, which had to renounce their own jurisdiction for this among other things.    
1435 The Order of Saint John sold its possession to the twin cities of Berlin/Coelln.    
1351 (22 July) Tempelhof field was mentioned in a document for the first time: Peace agreement of Margrave Ludwig with the twin cities of Berlin/Coelln on the Tempelhof field    
1318 After the dissolution of the Templar Order in the year 1312, the commanderies and their estates became the property of Order of Saint John.    
In 1200 Establishment of Tempelhof commanderies and colonisation of the area through Templar Order at the beginning of the 13 century    

You might find this interesting

Aviation history

Aviation history

The history of aviation in Tempelhof begins with gas balloons at the end of the 19th century. A few decades later, in the 1950s, the airport was already one of the largest in Europe in terms of passenger volume besides London and Paris.

Read more
Symbol of freedom

Symbol of freedom

The airlift and flight of many thousand people from the Soviet sector or GDR made Airport Tempelhof an international symbol of defence of freedom during the Cold War.

Read more
National Socialism

National Socialism

The history of the Tempelhof field also provides an insight into the ideology and reality of the National Socialist regime. The premises were a stage for propagandistic mass rallies and a location for the only official Berlin concentration camp. The new airport building with its characteristic features of NS architecture was used for arms production and forced labour during the Second World War.

Read more