Visitor Centre at Platz der Luftbrücke - Welcome to @THF
Open to visitors, open to new ideas - the Airport Tempelhof appears even intensifying on the way to the Berlin Creative District. In order to give expression to this approach, a visitor centre will be built by 2018 at Platz der Luftbrücke on the ground floor of the H2rund building section. More precisely in the “hall”, which formerly was the dining room of the erstwhile US Army Hotel.
H2rund was one of the first completed sections of Airport Tempelhof and forms a representative access to central headquarters with its large reception hall. The first tenant was Deutsche Lufthansa, which was founded in 1926 in Tempelhof. Along with its subsidiary Hansa Luftbild, it moved in 1938 in the airport building designed by Ernst Sagebiel. The rooms used for military purposes in the Second World War were completely destroyed and burnt out by the end of the war. In 1950, Berliner Flughafen Gesellschaft began reconstruction for US Air Force, which built the Officers’ Club and Officers’ mess with dining room and club rooms under the name “Columbia House”. Officers' quarters were built from former office rooms on upper floors.
The new visitor centre will provide not just mere information: It will be the start point of tours and will have a public character. The communal area is also intended for culinary use as well as exhibition and event areas. Further offer options will be checked and planned in the next few months - with the goal to build not just a centre of knowledge but a lively meeting place for social interchange.