From officers’ hotel to digital and innovation centre
Creative industries, artists, cultural professionals – they will characterise the spirit of the Berlin Creative District and provide new inspiring offers at the heart of Berlin. One of the creative hubs, which stands for innovation, exchange and digital added value, is H2rund at Platz der Luftbrücke. Tempelhof Projekt GmbH is currently conducting a selection procedure, following its conclusion the private investor will receive a surcharge with the convincing concept to build and operate the H2rund into a digital and innovation centre.
The currently abandoned and gutted part was formerly the officers’ hotel of the US Americans. The first tenant was Deutsche Lufthansa, which was founded in 1926 in Tempelhof. Along with its subsidiary Hansa Luftbild, it moved in 1938 in the airport building designed by Ernst Sagebiel. H2rund forms a representative access to central headquarters with its large reception hall.
The rooms used for military purposes in the Second World War were completely destroyed and burnt out by the end of the war. In 1950, Berliner Flughafen Gesellschaft began reconstruction for US Air Force, which built the Officers’ Club and Officers’ mess with dining room and club rooms under the name “Columbia House”. Officers' quarters were built from former office rooms on upper floors. The reception area on the ground floor was completely redesigned in 1987. Even the projecting roof comes from the US American period. The staircases with characteristic aluminium rails and “oak hall” have largely been preserved in their original state. This room spanning over two floors got its name because of wood panelling and candlesticks adorned with oak leaves. Originally it served Lufthansa as a conference and lecture hall with inbuilt screen for movie screenings.